Previously, this was a blog mostly to harass my poor friends and family with the details of my life. Don't worry-- that will continue. However, I'm also going to use this as a terrible forum for dialogue about green tips and eco-revolutions. Hopefully it will be helpful and entertaining...

Friday, May 14, 2010

Kay-lit-cology!

... as in literature... anyways...

BOOK CORNER TIME!

I read "It's Me or the Dog", by Victoria Stilwell, one of my most favoritest people in the entire world, and I highly recommend it! It was a fun read, had gorgeous pictures, and had lots of great advice for dog owners. I feel very ready for the dog we're going to get. IN JULY.

On a more literary note, I finished up "Jude the Obscure" by Thomas Hardy. As with most Hardy novels, it's a bit slow, but really good. Especially in the beginning of the novel, there's an interesting motif about respect for animals and one of my favorite quotes:

“Be kind to animals and birds, and read all you can.”

Jude also focuses on what marriage means: culturally, individually, socially... This is the story that had pastors burning this novel and led Hardy to give up and write only poetry for the rest of his life. You can definitely see why it would have been so ground-breaking and shocking at the time... But keeping that in mind is difficult to do and I think that's the main reason I got bored for parts of the novel. Overall, though, definitely worth the read-- Hardy is just an amazing writer, as long as you just relax.

No comments: